I do not accept insurance for Couples Therapy for the following reasons:
- Insurance typically covers "Conjoint Therapy" (90847) which is not Couples Therapy. Conjoint therapy is used to bring in a partner or family member to facilitate the therapy for an individual client who has a billable diagnosis, such as depression or anxiety. In Couples Therapy, neither partner is the "identified patient." Both partners are there to work on issues in the relationship that are causing distress.
- I also do not do Super Bills for Couples Therapy for you to submit to your insurance for reimbursement.
- I use the Gottman Method Couples Therapy model which involves a structured assessment phase:
- 1st session: both partners for 90 min to get history and identify concerns. You will be asked to take the online Relationship Checkup through the Gottman network; or for engaged couples, you'll be asked to take the Prepare/Enrich Assessment.
- 2nd session: each partner will be seen for 55 min after completing the Checkup to learn more about personal history and clarify answers given on the assessment.
- 3rd session: both partners for 90 min to discuss the results of the Relationship Checkup and my assessment of issues to be addressed. We will begin treatment planning at this point.
Insurance doesn't pay for this level of therapy for couples.
- Initial appointment (which includes either the online Gottman Relationship Checkup or Prepare/Enrich Assessment, and a written report) is $400.
Rates for ongoing sessions: $175 for 55 min sessions, $265 for 90 min sessions, and $350 for 2 hr sessions. Most sessions are for 90 minutes.
I am currently accepting the following insurance company for INDIVIDUAL THERAPY ONLY:
BCBS of AL / New Directions Behavioral Health
PLEASE NOTE: I no longer accept Aetna insurance even though they still have me on their list of providers. I also do not do EAP work, so if the referal to therapy comes through your work that will be EAP and I don't accept that.
Therapy may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. However, it is your responsibility to know your insurance benefits. Please contact your insurance company to check your coverage carefully by asking the following questions:
- Do I have mental health insurance benefits?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- How many sessions per year does my health insurance cover?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Is approval required from my primary care physician?
Please Note: If you have not met your deductible, you will be responsible for the full fee at the time of service until your deductible is met. My standard fee for Individual Therapy is $175 per 55 min session.
Payment All major credit cards are accepted for payment of sessions or copays, and you must keep a current credit card on file. Payment is expected on the date of service and will be processed through the integrated payment system for SimplePractice.
For Individual Therapy: If you do not show up for your scheduled therapy appointment, or you have not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance, you will be required to pay a $100 fee which is not covered by your insurance so your credit card will be charged. I may make exceptions in the case of emergency, but you will need to call me to discuss.
For Couples Therapy: Please give me 48 hours notice if you can't make your appointment. I block extra time from my schedule for couples, and without adequate that time slot can't be made available to someone else. The fee for cancellation for less than 24 hrs or "day of" you will be charged the full fee.
Questions? Please contact me for further information.