Rates & Insurance
I do not accept insurance for Couples Therapy for the following reasons:
- Insurance typically covers "Conjoint Therapy" (90847) which is not Couples Therapy. Conjoint therapy is used to bring in a partner or family member to facilitate the therapy for an individual client who has a billable diagnosis, such as depression or anxiety.
- In Couples Therapy, neither partner is the "identified patient." Both partners are there to work on issues in the relationship that are causing distress.
- I use the Gottman Method Couples Therapy model which involves a structured assessment phase: 1st session: both partners for 90 min and they will be required to take the online Relationship Checkup through the Gottman network. 2nd session: each partner will be seen for 45 min after completing the Checkup. 3rd session: both partners for 90 min to discuss the results of the Relationship Checkup and my assessment of issues to be addressed. We will begin treatment planning at this point.
- Subsequent sessions may vary between 60-90 min depending on need and will be discussed prior to scheduling. Insurance doesn't pay for this level of therapy for couples.
- Initial appointment (which includes the new online Gottman Relationship Checkup and a written report) is $250.
- Rates for ongoing sessions: $250 for 2 hr sessions, $175 for 90 min sessions, $125 for 45-50 min sessions
I am currently accepting the following insurance companies for individual therapy only:
BCBS of AL / New Directions Behavioral Health
VIVA Access (which uses the American Behavioral panel)
Therapy may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. However, it is your responsibility to know your insurance benefits. Please contact your insurance company to check your coverage carefully by asking the following questions:
- Do I have mental health insurance benefits?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- How many sessions per year does my health insurance cover?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Is approval required from my primary care physician?
Payment All major credit cards are accepted for payment of sessions or copays, and you must keep a current credit card on file. Payment is expected on the date of service and will be processed through the integrated payment system for SimplePractice.
Cancellation Policy If you do not show up for your scheduled therapy appointment, or you have not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance, you will be required to pay a $50 fee which is not covered by your insurance. This will be billed to you separately. I am willing to make allowances in case of emergency, but please do me the courtesy of calling regarding the missed appointment.
Questions? Please contact me for further information.